Sunday, January 20, 2013

My Birth Story

On December 12th, 2012, I woke up to Christmas music playing on my alarm clock. It was a special day because it was my baby's birthday! I didn't know if I was having a boy or a girl. I was told the surprise is one of life's greatest experiences and I didn't want to miss out on that! A c-section was scheduled because I had placenta previa. This wasn't part of my original birth plan. I mean, I even hired a doula because I wanted a drug free natural birth! But, my placenta had other plans... 

At 4 AM my husband and I got out of bed, showered and then headed to the hospital. 

I was happy that I got to go to Labour and Delivery with make-up on and my hair freshly blow dried.

As I handed the nurse my health card, I smiled and said "I'm here to have my baby!" She laughed. (I'm sure she's used to more women screaming in pain, even asking for drugs as they approach her desk at the hospital!). My husband, doula and I were taken to my room where we played cards and talked about the baby as nurses hooked me up to an IV. It felt like a party!

After I changed into my hospital gown things started happening really fast. Nurses, residents, anesthesiologists and doctors came into my room to introduce themselves, ask me questions, perform last minute ultrasounds and explain the procedure. The resident told me they would have to cut through my placenta to get to the baby and there was a risk that I would bleed profusely. The anesthesiologist had to hook me up to another IV because they expected I would need a blood transfusion.

As I was escorted to the operating room, I began to shake because I was scared. Getting the spinal was a piece of cake though! Bending forward was no problem (thank you prenatal yoga!) and it didn't hurt anymore than a regular needle. Meanwhile, my husband got into his scrubs and unbeknownst to me, hospital staff explained to him that when I started to bleed out he would need to leave the operating room immediately. When he entered the OR he didn't let on that anything was wrong. He just sat down beside me, smiled, held my hand and kissed my forehead. Our lives were about to change!

They told me I would feel some pressure, but it felt like an elephant was on my chest. It was difficult to breathe! The baby was pulled from my belly and the doctor said "It's a BOY!". I was so happy. He started crying and the anesthesiologist leaned down and whispered "we really pissed him off!". Within seconds we were told that he was healthy. He didn't have to go to the NICU and I didn't need a blood transfusion. My c-section was going really well. As the doctors worked to stitch me up, I didn't even notice because the nurse placed my baby boy on my chest for some skin to skin action in the operating room.

It was such a special moment. I stared into his blue eyes and was excited to see that he looked like me.

Henry Peter was born on 12/12/12 at 9:30AM weighing 8lbs 15oz with chubby cheeks and a full head of dark hair. Mama and baby are both doing well. I am so in love!

No comments:

Post a Comment